Tuesday, January 19, 2010

PLAY DATES AND SPECIAL NEEDS





Play dates for your child with special needs can be very beneficial. If you schedule a play date with a child who does not have a developmental delay it can provide a source of learning through repetitive play and socialization.

Of course there are inherent problems that can arise – so your participation is likely necessary at first but in the care of a trusted family member or friend this is hopefully doable!

What are your experiences with play dates? Please discuss them with us in the comments section.

COUNTING DOWN TO OUR LAUNCH ….7 DAYS TO GO!


Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/KnowledgeSafari
Join us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/KnowledgeSafari

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, it worked. So, I've had playdates for Olivia ever since she was a baby. I think it's important that I try and facilitate friendships, although now that she's almost 9 she has no problem with that!! It's definitely different than when my boys have playdates...that is actually a break for me. When Olivia has one, it's work because I have to plan things and help her play with her friend. But I think it's totally worth it. So do it!!

Kelly in Texas said...

I tire from play dates with typical children. Chloe doesn't enjoy it as much, and unless it takes place at my house, it is a ton of work. I feel that play dates with typical children act as one more way to isolate Chloe and me. It is so obvious that we are challenged and high-maintenance. . . I sometimes have to take a break from those play dates so that we both can recover a bit. It feels so safe to hang out with a mom and child that can totally relate to us. So I guess my opinion is that both types of play dates are important -- in their season!

Kelly
www.ourordinaryday.wordpress.com

Knowledge Safari said...

Thanks so much for your interesting perspectives! We look forward to these and other conversations when our site launches in one week!

Post a Comment