Thursday, February 25, 2010

QUESTION FOR YOU...




Here is a question for you.

Today I was at the grocery store and noticed a couple there with their daughter who was in a wheelchair.

As I was picking up some fruit, I noticed that a woman was literally staring at their daughter. Like stop in your tracks staring. The couple was engaged in conversation, but I did notice that the dad did see the stare. He continued his conversation.

I passed this group and made eye contact with the daughter and smiled. But, what I wanted to do was say something to the staring woman. I felt it was not my place - but I really wanted to.

What if I had said something to her? Would that have been better? Made things worse? How would you as the parents feel? Would that have been a sign of solidarity or annoyance?

I have read other blog posts, about how the parent reacts in a situation like this and the responses have varied widely. As a parent of child, or children with special needs, would you like a by stander to step in our stay out?

Let me know!

PS: Exciting giveaway coming tomorrow on Knowledge Safari! Make sure to check back - it is really unique and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment