Wednesday, March 31, 2010

What Would You Do Wednesday!




Have a question about how to handle something? Want to know how someone else would handle a sticky situation that you are in? Want an unbiased opinion? Submit your questions to us in the comments section and we will post them in the future!


Here is today's question:


This is from blog reader, Alana.


"My question is: How do you handle it when people stare at your kid? My daughter has Muscular Dystrophy and is in a wheelchair. She's 8 and I don't think she realizes each time when she is being stared at - but I do! I know she is aware at times and whether or not she is aware is just breaks my heart. I have probably run the gamut of responses, but I would love to hear what you think! Maybe there is something else I can do"


Ok, blog readers....take it away... What Would You Do?

3 comments:

The Hopeful Elephant said...

Oh my gosh! I just blogged about that very thing...!
I try to smile and educate...smile and educate. But it is frustrating...other parents need to wake up and see that the way THEY are behaving influences how their children treat our children too. You know...that's just my humble opinion! ;)

Jessica Crozier said...

I like what Heather said...I need to educate more, but really I just try and smile. It does break my heart, but it's been easier to deal with as she gets older. And now I don't notice a lot of times.

Debbi said...

A lot of times it is just easier for me to ignore it. I stay focused on my daughter and keep her busy, and remove her from the situation. I think it is easier for me to ignore it because she isn't always aware of it. If she is happy and unaware, then I will be too.

At times, when I am feeling good and patient, I will smile at the person or speak to them. I will tell them that this is Gracie and then encourage Gracie to smile at them.

There have been times when I was caught off guard, or the staring was really bad, and one time when she was being laughed at. They broke my heart, and I just removed all of us from the situation. I didn't know how to handle it so I just put a stop to it.

It is a tough situation, and a lot of families have different feelings about it. You just have to try to figure out what works best for you, in different circumstances.

Post a Comment