Thursday, June 3, 2010

Fear


When I talk to parents who are new to the world of special needs. I see fear. Fear of the unknown, fear of being able to handle it, fear for their child and their future, fears that I can see, hear and feel.


However, when I talk to parents who have been dealing with special needs for some time, I don't see the unmistakable face of fear anymore. Oh I am certain that there are still fears, but it is not the most predominant emotion.


It got me wondering what it takes to go from point A to point B. How does the fear begin to dissipate? What starts to happen that alleviates some of the fear that you feel in the beginning?


Care to share?


________


Join us at KnowledgeSafari.com - resources, reviews and more!

3 comments:

Mary said...

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I don't think there was a specific moment or event that changed but things have changed. Thinking about what the future holds no long brings a panic attack along with it. I actually find myself dreaming about the possibilities. What a great place to be.

Jessica Crozier said...

I think getting to know the disability reduces fear. They say knowledge is power, and I agree. Perhaps I turned my own fear into a drive to be Emma's advocate? And perhaps I realized that fear doesn't help any of us.

Tiffany said...

Gosh...good question. You made me tear up today!!! I just got finished writing my Flashback for Friday about when we first found out...man have we come far. I think it's your child. When they grow and smile and love you, you realize there is nothing to fear b/c they are here.

Post a Comment