Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What Would You Do Wednesday?


Welcome to What Would You Do Wednesday on the Knowledge Safari blog is a feature where we take questions from our readers and ask for your help in answering them.


Today's question comes from Kathleen.

"Hello, My son has Autism and when I am with other children I find myself evaluating other people's children for sigs of Autism. I am wondering if this is "normal". I do not say anything if I think I do detect Autism. I guess I feel that the parents will get them help.

Do you think I should try not to evaluate other children and do you think that I should tell their parents if I do detect something?"

Ok readers...take it away!

2 comments:

Jo said...

Oh yes, I think it's very normal! My son doesn't have autism, but he does have hemiplegic CP (CP affecting one side of his body due to a stroke). Ever since he was a toddler, I carefully studied other children's gait patterns. To this day, I still find myself doing it quite often. Once we become parents of children with special needs, it's just difficult to take off the therapy - colored glasses. As long as the mother isn't trying to diagnose other people's children, she shouldn't worry about it.

Tiffany said...

I think it's normal...but I would not say anything unless they asked me first.

Post a Comment