Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What Would You Do Wednesday

Welcome to What Would You Do Wednesday here on the Knowledge Safari blog. Each week we post a question that we have received from a reader and ask you to help us with an answer!

If you have a question for an upcoming post - email us at blog@knowledgesafari.com

Today's question is from Brittney!

"I just moved to a new town and enrolled my daughter in school - 2nd grade. My daughter has an intellectual disability and she will be in a mainstream classroom. In our old school, all the kids knew her - it was a small town. So, my question is what do you think is the best way for me to help her get going? Do I talk to the the class, do I just see how things go? What do you think?"

Thanks for asking this question Brittney, check the comments section for some answers.

----------

To discuss this and other topics, join us at KnowledgeSafari.com

2 comments:

Jo said...

I would definitely talk to the class. If you think it would make your daughter uncomfortable for you to talk in front of her, go in without her or have her wait in the hallway. You may want to also make a little brochure for the kids describing some of the things that are difficult for your daughter, but more importantly, all of the things that she likes and the things she has in common with her classmates. Kids tend to tease or be afraid when they don't understand someone who is different, so education is key.

Tiffany said...

I talk to the class every year...even though it's a small school and the kids all know Olivia...there may be a couple who have never been in class with her yet. It's still emotional for me...so I created a powerpoint that I use to entice the kids and help me talk...if you'd like a copy, email me @ ttownsend@bex.net I'd be happy to share! I've found that this not only helps the kids and Olivia, but helps the teacher as well!!

Post a Comment