Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Voice4u - iPhone Application


Voice4u has created a new iPhone application that is designed to assist with communication.




Taken from their website:

Voice4u, is a revolutionary AAC (augmentative and alternative communication) application that helps individuals to express their feeling, thought, actions and things they need. It is a perfect solution for learning and communication for autistic individuals and people around them. Also highly recommended for SLPs, teachers, parents, children and adults with developmental disabilities, stroke, or traumatic brain injury.

----------------
Upon receiving this application, everything has been so easy to do! I downloaded the app from the iTunes store and we were off! I was to be visiting with a child I am working with who has a myriad of difficulties, including conveying emotion and basis communication skills. I was really interested to see how this would work. Normally, Evan* likes to play with my phone anyway. So, I knew that I would not have any hurdles to get over there. Of course, playing pacman or other video games is different than this, but nonetheless, he knew how to operate the phone!

The basis premise is that this application, has pictures and pre-loaded voice descriptions - from things like pants, bread and bus to emotions like confused, excited and happy. You click on the picture and hear the corresponding word. You can access them alphabetically or by categories. The cool thing is that you can add your own photo and your own voice to really make this a personal experience.

So, I asked Evan to use Voice4u to tell me how he felt about having his tutoring session - he chose "excited" -- good for you Evan!

I asked him - "Evan, when you see your dad later today...what would you say to him?" Evan chose "Hello".


I said "Evan, what do you want for dinner?" He chose "Pizza". Ok, Evan Pizza it is! :)

The possibilities are endless with this application. I can see it being used in many ways, for general education, learning emotions (especially when customizing), and for anyone needing assistance with communication.

*Name changed for privacy

This has been a sponsored review for Voice4u.










No comments:

Post a Comment