Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What Would You Do Wednesday


Welcome to What Would You Do Wednesday here on the Knowledge Safari blog! Each week we take a question that we have been asked and throw it out to you to help us answer!


If you have a question for a future post, please email it to blog@knowledgesafari.com


Today's question comes from Grammy5.


"As you can tell from my screen name, I am a Grandma...five times over! One of my grand kids has special needs. Little Annie is deaf. She is doing great, learning a lot and making friends. Annie is the daughter of my daughter and son in law. My son and my daughter in law also live in town with two of my grand kids. The problem is that they will not encourage their kids to learn sign language. I would like to kids to learn so that they can communicate with Annie. The play with her and have picked up some signs here and there, but I would like for them to learn it like they might learn Spanish or French. Do you think I should stick my nose in it for the sake of Annie or stay out of it?"

So, readers what do you think?

3 comments:

Jo said...

Good for Grammy! By all means, get involved. As you sign to Annie, show the other kids the signs and encourage them to use them as well. Let them know (preferably while the parents are within earshot) that it's important to learn signs so they can communicate with their cousin. Annie is a member of the family and needs to be included in conversations, just like the other kids.

The Henrys said...

I agree with above.
You can stick your nose in, with lots of love, support and encouragement. I think the kids would be excited to learn sign language, and be able to communicate with their cousin. Maybe the parents will see how good this is for them, and their niece, and will be motivated to learn as well.
Good luck!

Tiffany said...

That's a tough one...is there a reason why they don't want their other kids to learn sign language?

Post a Comment