Tuesday, August 3, 2010

How Do You Do It?


Do you get that comment?


"I don't know how you do it", "Geez you have your hands full", and other comments like this - I hear them a lot around parents who have children with special needs.


How the parents take this has been interesting to witness.


One parent - takes in the light hearted spirit that it is likely given - she is not offended in the least. The other parent takes offense on all sorts of levels...it just irritates her to no end!


How do you feel about comments such as these?


---------


KnowledgeSafari.com is ready for you to connect, discover and share with you!

4 comments:

The Hopeful Elephant said...

I usually just say "By the grace of God" because it's not nice...

I kind of get upset anymore when people claim to be advocating, but in reality, they are simply complaining. Advocacy is about education and tolerance, while still standing up for what's right. It's not about being mean. ;)

Becky said...

We have 4 children and one with special needs...so we get "boy, I bet you have your hands full?"..my husband always replies, "Full of Love"

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

I always just say "I am lucky to do it". I usually remind people that you don't get a choice in parenting - what other option do we have?

Tiffany said...

I always just smile and say "I sure do!" with a big smile!!

Post a Comment