Wednesday, August 4, 2010

What Would You Do Wednesday

Welcome to What Would You Do Wednesday here on the Knowledge Safari blog. Each week we post a question that we have received from a reader and ask you to help us with an answer!

If you have a question for an upcoming post - email us at blog@knowledgesafari.com


This week's question comes from Lori.

"Hi! My question is that I have a great mom who is involved with my son who has CP. But the involvement is getting to be too much. This is my first child so I do not have a frame of reference but it seems like she is overly invloved. Always wanting to come with me to docs, to be involved with therapy, to give her opinion on my parenting, etc. I am not sure if this is bothering me because I am insecure or it it really is too much. Either way how to I create some boundaries?"

Great question Lori, look for some responses in the comments section!

-----------

To discuss this and other topics you can also join on KnowledgeSafari.com

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Wow, I've never had this issue. I bet she's feeling unsure of how to help...maybe you coudl come up with one thing that would be "hers" to help you with? Just remember it comes from a place of love! !

Jo said...

I have had this issue, so maybe I can shed some light on the subject. I am the mother of a little boy who had a stroke, which caused him to have hemiparesis (mild CP). I'm also very fortunate to have a loving, supportive family. However, they sometimes get to be a bit too involved. It also helps (or or doesn't) that some of them are therapists themselves. I know they mean well when they question some of the very tough decisions that I have to make for my son, but in the end, they really do not know what it's like to raise a child with special needs and have to make such tough choices.
I would suggest that Lori let her mother know how grateful she is that her son has such a wonderful grandmother. She should then tell Grandma that her job is to be just that - Grandma. All children need a grandmother to just spoil them instead of doing therapy sessions and dragging them to doctor's appointments. When Grandma criticizes her parenting, Mom should say politely but firmly, "I am his mother; I will handle it. Repeat as necessary. Good luck!

Post a Comment