Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What Would You Do Wednesday

Welcome to What Would You Do Wednesday here on the Knowledge Safari blog. Each week we take a question from a blog reader and throw it out to you to help us answer.

If you have a question you would like to ask for a future blog - email us at blog@knowledgesafari.com . We are happy to change your name for privacy, just let us know.


Today's question is from Katrina.

"Hi, am new ot the world of special needs so I am not even sure how to put this but here goes. My son has a form on Muscular Dystrophy, he is 5 and is a fantastic kid (just had to add that in!). Anyway, my question is how do I know if all of these therapies that the docs are suggesting are worth it? I feel that this doctor is heavy on the therapy and I do want to give my son the best, but there is only so much time in the day and money in the bank. How do I know what to do?"

Take it away readers!

---------

Make sure to visit us at Knowledge Safari for similar conversations, reviews and more!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katrina,

I'm the mother of a little boy who has hemiparesis as the result of a stroke, so I understand what you mean when it comes to therapy overload. On one hand, therapy is indeed important. On the other, our sons are little boys first and foremost, and they need time to play. Have you looked into recreational therapy? Therapeutic horseback riding, individual swimming, yoga, adaptive sports, etc. can be great fun while also giving children the exercise and stretching that their bodies need. I would suggest looking into programs in your area for your son. He should still see a PT at least once a week, but you should be able to get therapy services for free through your school district. Do some of the stretches and exercises that your son's PT shows you at home, even for just 15 minutes a day, and he should be good to go. I know it sounds daunting when you're just getting started, but it gets easier as it becomes a part of your daily life. Good luck!

Post a Comment